Thursday 18 September 2014

September 17th, 2014

Hike #1:

Participating: Me and Tia, Bonnie's dog
Start time: 9:00 am
Finish time: 12 noon
Distance: 17 kms
Terrain: Hike through Ellison area of Kelowna, through rolling hills in farming country
Difficulty: Moderate- but long- 99% on paved rural roads.

Went on a hike with Bonnie's dog, Tia, a Pyrenees/Collie cross. Bonnie was at work, and I walked to Bonnie's from my house, and leashed Tia up and off we went on a 15 km/3 hour hike!! We headed up McCurdy Road (in the direction of Tower Ranch golf course), and turned left into apple orchard and horse farm territory, for the majority of our hike.

Apple orchards were in full harvest. Countless bins full of apples in the orchards and lined up and stacked on the rural roads we hiked on. Yes, I did swipe one or two apples that were waiting to be picked up and taken to packing houses. I figured they would not miss two apples out of the tens of thousands in the bins!!

There were also many beautiful horses on many ranches along our hike- grazing in the fields.

We eventually ended up on the road that runs by Shadow Ridge golf course, and Tia went for a swim in the creek that runs along the road. She got a much needed drink of the cold running water.

Sadly, we ended up on Rutland Road North, and the constant roar of traffic and noise of the City, for the final leg home. We missed the quiet hike that we had through farming country!

When I dropped Tia off she was pretty bagged, laid on the grass, and after a good scratch on her belly- I walked the two kilometers home. Bonnie said she slept all night!

I took my pedometer- over 20,000 steps, 1450 calories burned, 17 kms walked in three hours.

PS: Today (September 18th) Ollie and I drove from Bonnie's house, took our route, and when we got back to her house, my odometer showed 15 kms in distance, and from there is was one km to my condo, so my pedometer is very accurate!
18 September 2014 19:45

No comments:

Post a Comment