Tuesday 16 September 2014

Welcome to my blog about our weekly hiking trips in the Okanagan Valley

September 15th, 2014:

When I retired on August 4th, it was my intention to spend time doing the things I love to do.

About 20  years ago- when my mother was diagnosed with cancer, and passed away- I committed to living a healthier lifestyle. After going through a battery of tests and examinations, and having meetings with dietitians and other professionals, I knew it was time to reverse the damage I had done to my body in it's first 45 years.

Two themes kept being discussed with all of the professionals I met:

* Move it or lose it!

* Eat well- lots of fresh fruit and vegetables and lean meats- everything in moderation

* Ditch the fast foods and sweets, especially my beloved Raspberry Turnovers!!

Over the last 20 years I have hiked 100's of miles and been a gym rat for most of those years. I have completely reversed my diet- and now 95% of the time I eat fresh fruits, vegetables and lean meats. I have never been more physically fit- and I am about to turn 67 years of age.

Now that I am retired- I can spend more time getting out and exploring this great Valley we live in.

To that end, I have decided to hike a different trail each week - and invite other retired family members and friends to join me. Hopefully, in time, their retired friends will join us. We will see what transpires!

This page will provide details on our hikes, and the quality and difficulty of the trails we do.

This is the first time I have done a blog, so  have no idea how this will look- and who will look at it- but it will be fun writing about our adventures!

Respectfully submitted!

Don "Just Move It" Bell

1 comment: