Sunday 21 September 2014

The fish are spawning!

September 21, 2014:

Mission Park Greenway- Sunday, September 21st
________________________________________

After lunch, while sitting in my condo, and not having a backyard to retire to and laze away the afternoon, I decided I had to get to my "new" backyard- the Mission Park Greenway.

Of course I did not want to pollute the beautiful clear air on this sunny day, so I left my car in the parking garage, and headed out the door! I decided to take a photo of "The Staircase" which I mentioned in a previous post, so you could appreciate how steep it is:

 
From here I walked Cactus Street down  to Monterrey and finally reached Springfield and Hollywood Road intersection. Another 200 meters and I was on the Mission Park Greenway. Distance from my condo 2.5kms and it took me 30 mins.
 
It was Sunday afternoon, and it was gorgeous, and there were a lot of people on the Trail, mostly families. There were children splashing around in the creek and couples and families biking/hiking/pushing strollers- just enjoying another sunny day in paradise.
 
I have walked this trail a lot, so I decided to cross the creek, over a bridge, and explore the other side of the creek. Here is the trail sign, the bridge, the "Bear" warning and a photo that another hiker took of me- so you could see the creek.
 
 
 
 
 
 


 
 
On the other side of the bridge, I was able to get to a spawning channel, which had  been diverted from the creek, and was able to observe fish spawning in the channel. I took a photo, and if you look closely you can see the red reflection of the salmon in the spawning bed.
 
 
I continued hiking through the park on the other side of creek. It was beautiful. Lots of shade. I took a photo which I hope shows the beauty of the trail.
 
 
 
I walked the trail almost to Orchard Park Mall, and sadly left the park and walked back to my condo- but invigorated by my hike. It was an easy hike- flat and level for the most part.
 
My pedometer readings:
 
Distance: 9.5 kms
Steps: 12,120
Time:  100 minutes
Cals burned: 820
 


No comments:

Post a Comment